Ian's Ravensbourne Blog: 3D Rotation Day 3

3D Rotation Day 3

On the final day of our introduction 3D pathway we had a very interesting day, we sat down and had to draw 20 sketches of a structure that could hold 3 balls off the ground, however the balls should not touch each other and the structure had to be designed to be built with twenty pieces of raw spaghetti and held together by glue from a hot glue gun.

After doing twenty sketches I came to an overall design which I was happy with. Unfortunately this design was harder to build than I had expected. I like the fact that the design was simple and elegant which ties to my love of minimalist design. However, I do believe that with steadier hands and a bit more time I believe I could have made it look a lot more aesthetically pleasing.

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

(Authors Own, 2013)

After we had made our structures we all put them on a table and looked at the designs, I have to admit that they are all very beautiful and create a nice, almost 'pop art' style.

(Authors Own, 2013)

(Authors Own, 2013)

After we had all placed our designs on the table in front of each other we discussed them and then were given 1 piece of A2 paper and 2 pieces of A4 paper to create a skeletal structure in which to protect our design.

I like my design for structural support, however I do think it is pretty ugly. If i had a bit more material to work with I think that it would look better and be more structurally sound.

Once we had finished supporting our structures we were told to place them in a square so the structures could be "tested", suffice it to say the testing method was dropping a plastic sheet on our structures. No design stood after the test.

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)

 (Authors Own, 2013)


(Authors Own, 2013)

1 comment:

  1. It's clear that throughout this week you developed your understanding of an effective and aesthetically pleasing structure! I also think your interior protective structure created was particularly effective - despite perhaps not being as visually exciting as you had first hoped!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Ian's Ravensbourne Blog Urang-kurai