Ian's Ravensbourne Blog: The Serpentine Gallery and The V&A

The Serpentine Gallery and The V&A

We went on a trip to The Serpentine Gallery on the 4th of September 2013. We were asked to record the structure in as many ways possible.

I chose to edit these few images in the same antique style because I wanted to portray the consistency of the structure. I played around with the contrast, saturation and brightness of each image.

I like this image because it is contemporary and creates focus on the actual structure, The colouring of the image makes the structure stand out and forces you to look at the image.

(Authors Own, 2013)

This image is from a different angle of the same structure, I like the fact that one can see the unusual form of construction that makes this structure unique. I played around with the contrast to make the structure stand out and you can see the different holes and aspects of this unique building. However, I do not like the fact that this image is so dark, it does not portray the building in the style I wanted.

(Authors Own, 2013)

This image is taken from the inside of the structure, it shows the open plan design and the complexity of the actual building. I like the fact that it shows how the inside of the structure is laid out and the style of the editing once again causes you to focus on the inner aspects. I found this task hard to do because capturing the pure complexity in the building was very hard and I needed to portray it in a way that makes me happy.

(Authors Own, 2013)

The following image is taken from the top of the structure, I wanted to capture the smart design of plexiglass circles which provide a transparent ceiling so the glory of the structure is not interrupted. I like the fact that the image is so busy yet simple at the same time, it really does show the clever design and construction put in place by the architect.
(Authors Own, 2013)

This image combines the roof and structure of the whole building, I chose to take the image to show the open plan below. I like how the style helps reduce the busyness of the structure allowing the viewer to see the floor plan below. However, I do not like the fact that I could not get the right angle so the image is too busy.

(Authors Own, 2013)

I chose to do a panoramic image of the interior of the structure because I wanted to show a full view of the structure. I like the fact that the image shows the space created by the architect and that you can see the interior of the structure in a full 360 degree view. The part of the image that I do not like is the fact that it is so small and that one has to zoom in to look at the image properly.
(Authors Own, 2013)

After The Serpentine Gallery we all went to the V&A . This was to mainly look at the "Memory Palace" exhibit but we also had the opportunity to walk around the free exhibitions. Unfortunately no photography or sketching was allowed to be done in the main exhibit but I managed to get some images from the other exhibits.

This image was from the furniture exhibit. The reason I chose to use this image is because its a very weird and contemporary design chest of draws. Obviously since the draws aren't straight they are not very practical but they are very aesthetically pleasing. I like the black and white editing with a high contrast because it is simple and shows the whole design without incorporating too much "busyness". In addition, I like how the darkness of the shadow creates a very interesting shape.
(Authors Own, 2013)

This image was also taken from the furniture exhibition. I like the fact that the black and white editing enhances the shape of the bookshelf. Unfortunately, I do not like the fact that the image is quite unclear and blurry.
(Authors Own, 2013)

This image was taken in the lobby of the V&A, I like the fact that the image focusses on the shape and colours of the piece and how the item is viewed by the general public. What I am a bit unsure about is the contrasting in the image, I feel that it is a tad unclear and can cause people to just skip this very alluring piece of art.

(Authors Own, 2013)

This final image is taken outside the Memory Palace Exhibition, I chose to use this image because it shows that the memory palace is actually enclosed inside of us. I like the fact that this image is in black and white with a vinaigrette style because the viewer will be able to see the what is important in the image. I do not like the fact that the writing is unclear below and I need to work on my editing process.
(Authors Own, 2013)

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you've edited the pictures of the Serpentine Gallery, i felt the images with the black fade around it really capture the creativity of the gallery. In addition capturing different angles and using different effects keeps the viewer interested in the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The editing on the photos really give it a unique touch, it really highlights the gallery and makes it stand out from the surrounding background

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Ian's Ravensbourne Blog Urang-kurai