Ian's Ravensbourne Blog: Blade Runner

Blade Runner

On the first day of induction we were taken to watch a film called Blade Runner which was made in 1982, starring Harrison Ford and was set in the future. I personally found this film partially interesting with respect to the fact that Humans engineered the "replicants" and inserted memories into them. One can not replicate memories in my opinion as you actually have to experience them personally otherwise they are just fiction.

This first image was taken from the beginning of the film. I chose to use this image because I believe it shows the reality of memories as there is a close up of an eye. I like this image because the darkness portrays some of the bad memories we have and want to forget and the sparks in the eyes to me portray the brightness in some beautiful memories. What I don't like is the fact that it may be too dark and does not seem clear enough.



(Blade Runner, 1982. Edited by Author, 2013)

This image is from early on in the film, it happens when Deckard is interviewing Rachael. It takes him a long time to figure out she is a replicant as the head of Tyrell Corporation has put so much work into his secretary. I portrayed this image in black and white to show how people sometimes analyse issues, as not all "replicants" or Humans are bad.

I like the way the imaging portrays the beauty and almost "coldness" of the replicant while she is being interviewed. In addition, it shows how most people see and live life rather than trying to find the best in people.

(Blade Runner, 1982. Edited by Author, 2013)

The image below shows Rachael trying to convince Deckard in his home that she is not a replicant. She claims to have memories from when she was a child, however Deckard already knows what the memories were because they were implanted into her from Tyrell's nieces. This shocks Rachael as she really did believe that she was a Human.

I like this because the way i edited it in a sepia style shows how fictitious memories can affect a life. The cold expression of Rachael combined with the colouring of the image creates an almost surreal feeling to portray the way Rachael feels. However, I do not like the fact that the image is so plain. I originally did that so the viewer can focus on the way that Rachael feels. If I had managed my time properly I would have edited it a bit more and that frustrated me.

(Blade Runner, 1982. Edited by Author, 2013)

I like this next image because the way it is edited portrays how pain can be felt by almost everything, animals, plant and even in this case replicants. One says that to be human is to feel pain and emotions but in Blade Runner the replicant have been created with the ability to grow both. Does that not make them human?

I like the fact that in this image the replicant portrays pain, which makes her a little bit Human. I chose to use a vinaigrette style and darkened the edges to move focus to the replicants face. This image seems a bit rushed because I did not manage my time correctly, I need to get home and do my work straight away rather than leave it for later which I learnt was a big mistake when doing this.

(Blade Runner, 1982. Edited by Author, 2013)

This image is when Leon (a replicant) is attacking Deckard. I chose to use this image and brighten it up because it helps show the emotion on Leons face. I don't like this image in a way because I feel that it may be too bright, however I do like the fact that brightening up the image shows the emotions on both actors faces clearly.

(Blade Runner, 1982. Edited by Author, 2013)

The following image takes place when Batty (a replicant) visits his "maker", Tyrell. I chose to once again play with the boldness and vinaigrette styles to show the emotion on both the humans and replicants faces. I like the way that the colouring and the blacked out edges force the viewer to focus on the faces of the two actors and once again, the style emphasises the fact that both the replicant and human can not be told apart. The only way that one can tell them apart is from deep examination.

(Blade Runner, 1982. Edited by Author, 2013)

This image shows the face of Pris (a replicant) the darkness in the image portrays the darkness of her feeling which I chose to enhance by creating a very dark image. I don't like the fact that the image is so plain though. Although, that does portray the beauty in the image and the whole screenplay of the film, the whole film is about emotion and pain and this image portrays that, I think, perfectly.

(Blade Runner, 1982. Edited by Author, 2013)

This image shows Batty crying in the rain, I like this photo because it shows that there is emotion in replicants. I like this because the editing shows the brightness in the darkness of times, the light portrays Batty's face with tears rolling down in the rain. Although, people may say that it is too bright, I enjoy the facial expression shown in Batty's face.

(Blade Runner, 1982. Edited by Author, 2013)

These next two images are taken from the end of the the film, Batty claims that Rachael will never live and Deckard rushes home to find her cause he has grown feelings for her. I placed them both in black and white to portray the beauty at the end of the film.

This first image is taken when he finds her and he is so happy. I chose to use this image because it shows that feelings do make one human and I like the editing style because it is simple, elegant and beautiful.

(Blade Runner, 1982. Edited by Author, 2013)

This last image is right at the end. I chose it because a unicorn symbolises something that doesn't and never will exist in our reality, like the love between Deckard and Rachael. The editing is simple and elegant which portrays the beauty of what is basically, forbidden.

(Blade Runner, 1982. Edited by Author, 2013)



Bibliography

Blade Runner, 1982. [DVD] Ridley Scott, USA: Warner Bros.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Ian's Ravensbourne Blog Urang-kurai