Ian's Ravensbourne Blog: Graphics Pathway Week 4

Graphics Pathway Week 4

On the fourth week of our graphics pathway we did a few workshops, on the first day we did calligraphy. This was an interesting workshop because I had never done calligraphy before, but I started to enjoy it.

We were given a brief to create a label for a wine, I chose the name Highland because it sounded prestigious and did a very simple but elegant style of calligraphy. I like the fact that it is so simple, yet eye-catching, but I would have preferred it if I could have spent a little bit longer on the final design.

(Authors Own, 2013)

On the second day of workshops, we had to create a movie poster for the upcoming film The 33. This was an interesting subject as it had to do with the miners that got trapped in Chile in 2010.

I chose to do a simple black and white movie poster with elegant, victorian style type that made it look like an older film. Then I super imposed other images of the miners into the main image. Finally, I made it look like a beam of light was shining down which gives the perception of hope.

I like this piece because it is simple and classy, it creates curiosity in the publics mind so that they would like to go and find out what the film is about. The editing is a bit amateur though, so I would spend a bit more time working through the process. With regards to the type, I would try and find a more appropriate style (as said in the group crits) it does seem a bit outdated for this film.

  (Authors Own, 2013)

Finally, on the third day of this weeks workshop week we had to create a book cover for a choice of topics. I chose to create a book cover for the history of typography because most typography book covers are dull and need to create more interest in the viewers mind.

I chose to use a very simple type coupled with a black background and simple shapes to add colour. The reason is because these are bright colours which attract everyone and brings them towards the book. In addition, typography books are aimed at an audience who are very visual and most would not be attracted to a white cover with black type on it.

I like this piece because I believe it fulfils my aims for what I wanted to do with this cover. However, I do believe that it is a bit plain and that my main ideas may be misconstrued with regards to the use of shapes and colours on a typography book.

(Authors Own, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Ian's Ravensbourne Blog Urang-kurai